Great! Your company has a website, which is an absolute necessity in our tech-dependent age where everyone uses the Internet to research services and products. (Seriously, how often do you open a paper phone book to look for a product or service?) But, does your website promote a reputable image for your company or organization?
Your website will likely be the first impression you make with new clients and customers. An outdated website could lose those first-time visitors and possible leads, as well as diminish your organization reputation. According to Stanford University, 75% of people judge the credibility of a company based upon the look and professionalism of its website.
It used to be that just having a website for your company was a step in the right direction; however, to present yourself to your online audience as a company in step with the current needs of clients, customers, members or patrons, your website should be engaging, well-designed and easy to navigate on all types of devices — desktops, laptops, tablets and smart phones.
How do you know it’s time for a website redesign?
- Your website is not device-responsive to smart phones or tablets. You might be missing out on a huge segment of web users who only use mobile devices to search the Internet. Also, many of your clients may be out in the field when they need information from your website. Why make that experience a frustrating one?
- Your site has outdated styling, content and images. If the text and photos are outdated on your site, or if your website has a look from a different decade (like your “webmaster” cousin built the site for you 7 years ago), the impression is that your organization is outdated, too. Take a look at your competitor’s websites. Are they making you look bad with a more current-looking website than yours?
- Your site is hard to navigate and/or has too many links to choose from. Do your clients or customers tell you that they are having a hard time finding what they are looking for on your website? Your site navigation and content should be absolutely straightforward without frustrating visitors in their efforts to find important information. We are experts at organizing and presenting content!
- Your website is slow to load. This is especially true on mobile devices that don’t have broadband connections to load up that 4MB image you have on your home page. Most website visitors won’t stick around if it takes more than 3 to 8 seconds to load up a website.
- You’ve changed your company branding. If you’ve recently updated your company branding, location or services, now is the time to let everyone out there see the new you! All of your marketing materials should be consistent so that there is no confusion that you are the “one-in-the-same” company.
- You wince, hesitate or make cover excuses when giving out your company web address because you’re embarrassed of your website. If it comes down to a potential client’s choice between you and another company, don’t provide a reason to choose a competitor. Show that you maintain your website with current information and technologies. This reflects that your company pays attention to detail and current practices, not just for your website, but for your industry!
Is your website stuck in a different decade, too?
We added a new customer yesterday. I asked them how they found out about us and they indicated they did a Google search for calibration. When they found our website they said they were extremely impressed with the professional look and layout. They said it was a factor in determining which calibration company they were going to interview.
They are going to be Cal Lab’s largest account!
Thank you Jackie!Jeff Hickman